Thursday, April 25, 2013

the box set..


I think it was in the late 1970's when the concept of the "box set" came into my consciousness. neil young..decade--for those of you who may recall--it was a wonderful compilation of all his early and significant songs. then came the more official "box sets" that actually came in a box-- these were albums--so as you can imagine quite cumbersome. then came the CD and the box set was much more manageable-- and usually arrived around the holidays with archival recordings, hard to find singles, B sides (what??) and rarities "never before released"..not sure how well the digital box set translates for those of us oriented towards the tactile..
the box set is a beautiful thing--

which brings me to my box set..
I maintain a steady stream of images in my head that are collected visually--some I will capture with my iphone, others may be torn from a magazine, others just conjured from hearing someone speak of something..and still others drawn from a fleeting glimpse.
sometimes many of these images will come together in some way.
and sometimes its fun to keep them together to tell a bigger story.
Objects are prevalent in my work. like many before me, the portrayal of everyday objects invite more examination and elevation. I collect. I collect images and objects that I find.
and one of my favorite places to do that is the beach out near where I live in the sunset district of san francisco.
this spring, I felt compelled to create a series of plates that depict what I see out at the beach..they belong together. so instead of setting them out one at a time, I created a box set for them..



this is the beach box set.
housed in handmade boxes made by my husband peter- using found and recycled wood to create the perfect container of a sensibility.
accompanied by a set of beach trading cards--cool photos that I have taken out at the beach that inspire me..










there is also a more basic box of objects--perhaps referencing jaspar johns and the beautifully simple way he evoked and considered basic objects-
he said: "The relationship between the object & the event. Can they 2 be separated? Is one a detail of the other? What is the meeting? Air?"

this box set celebrates the simple object- something we may see everyday but deserves its reverie.








these boxes are available direct from me so do get in touch if you are interested.