Wednesday, February 12, 2014

giving back...


If you follow this blog or know that before I put all of my work energy into ceramics, I was an urban social worker, heavily involved in many different communities helping to create and support affordable housing in new york city and san francisco. When I ceased to work "professionally" as a social worker, I retained my sense of duty, service and the importance of giving back. It is something I feel strongly about and try and instill in my kids. you can give time, attention and of course money to causes, organizations you believe in. Even if you are not a philanthropist on a grand scale a la bill gates, you can still demonstrate your support in whatever way you can, and believe me, anything helps.
I have pledged to donate a portion of all of my annual income from my ceramics work to different community organizations spanning the arts, LGBT issues and community health. Some of the places I have supported this year:

San Francisco Food Bank
SFSPCA
Ali Forney Center in San Francisco: serving LGBT youth
Planned Parenthood- supporting affordable women's health
Various breast cancer organizations
NPR- my local station KQED and KCRW in Los Angeles
Abiquiu Public Library- serving a remote part of northern new mexico and preserving local history and culture
marsh theater- keeping one person plays going and youth programs in SF

I am hoping to carve out some time this year to do a bit more hands on work- but am proud to support where I can. I like to say that giving what you can annually "keeps you in shape" for future giving, involvement and general citizenry. Toiling away in my studio in a singular way, it is important to remain connected in this larger way.
That and walking my new pup at the beach to remind me how very small we really are..but that we can still imprint.